Regional Latin Dance Weekend
Saturday 24th August 2019
We are proudly sponsored by:
Online sales are now closed, cash at the door only.
|10 am – 11 am |
Cha Cha | Beginners with Kiel De Buisson from New Plymouth
|11 am – 12 pm |
Reggaeton | Beginners with Raine Symons from Palmerston North
|12.15 pm – 1.15 pm |
Social Dance Regional Competition: Salsa and Bachata
|1.15 pm – 2 pm – Lunch Break|
|2 pm – 3 pm |
Salsa | Intermediate on 1 Turn Patterns with Irina & Rene
|3 pm – 4 pm |
Bachata | Intermediate Sensual variations with Rene & Irina
|4.15 pm – 5.15 pm |
Cuban Salsa Shines | Open Level with Isbert Vivio Ramos
|5.15 pm – 7 pm – Dinner Break|
|7 pm – 11 pm |
Showcase Dance Performances and Social Dance Party
Individual Workshops – $15
Competition Entry – $10
Showcase only – $10 (cash at the door)
Showcase and Party – $20
Whole Day Pass – $60
Artist and Judges
10am to 11am – Cha Cha Beginners basic steps and partner work with Kiel de Buisson From New Plymouth. Kiel has over 20 years of Salsa, Ballroom and Latin Dance training. This workshop is suitable for complete beginners in Cha Cha and dance in general. It is also beneficial to current Salsa Students.
11am to 12pm Reggaeton Beginners – Fun and and funky moves with Raine Symons from Palmerston North. This workshop is great for anyone who wants to improve their body movement and add a bit of funk to their other dance styles. Also suitable for complete beginners
2pm to 3pm – LA Salsa Fun Turn Patterns Intermediate with Irina and Rene from Dance Whanganui. This workshop is suitable for anyone who has completed at least one Improver course and is familiar with Cross Body Lead Turn variations.
3pm to 4pm – Sensual Bachata Sexy and Fun Moves with Rene and Irina from Dance Whanganui. Sexy and sensual, this workshop is great for anyone is currently attending an intermediate Bachata course and is wanting to learn more sexy variations.
4pm to 4.15pm – 15 minute water break
4.15pm to 5.15pm – Cuban Salsa Shines Open level: For Ladies and Gentlemen – with New Zealand’s leading Cuban dancer and teacher Isbert Vivio Ramos “The Father of Cuban Salsa in NZ” from The Cuban Groove Auckland. It is not to be missed. Discover the incredible Afro-Cuban roots of many contemporary Latin dance styles! Add technique and flavour to your salsa dancing. Take a journey through Afro-Cuban dances and Rumba, Learn about the Yoruba history from Africa to Cuba through some of the most popular Orisha dances (including Yemayā, Changó, Oshún, Ogun, Eleguá, Oyá…) and Rumba (Yambu, Guaguanco and Columbia).
Workshops are $15 each or $60 for the whole day including the competition, shows and party in the evening. You can buy your pass below
This competition is open to student Amateur dancers only. This means that you have never received any financial compensation for any dance related activity like teaching, performing or judging. You may have assisted in teaching classes without payment. You may have fund-raised for the purpose of participating dance related events such as NZ Salsa Congress, NZ Salsa Champs etc.
Salsa and Bachata Freestyle – applicable to the SOCIAL categories. Freestyle is judged on the ability to interpret the music using the social Salsa/ Bachata dance moves. NO lifts, tricks or flares are allowed, but dips are permitted where appropriate. Shines may be danced facing each other and must be clearly un-choreographed. The focus of freestyle is on lead/follow and connection with the partner as well as timing and music interpretation. Marks will be deducted for clearly choreographed sections. Costumes are NOT REQUIRED for these categories
All couples dance on the floor at the same time. In case of more than 6 couples in the category, they Qualifier round will run in heats with 6 winning couples moving onto the finals.
A Beginner definition is a NOVICE dancer with less than 12 months of Salsa/ Bachata Dance experience. The following rules must be followed:
- Up to 1.5 in line turns allowed
- Un-Choreographed shines are accepted but not expected
- No dips, lifts, tricks or flares
- 2 songs will be danced of different tempos
This category is open to anyone with over 12 month of Salsa/Bachata experience
- Up to 2.5 in line turns and check/NY spins allowed
- Un-choreographed shines are encouraged
- Dips allowed as long as they compliment the music and fit with timing
- No lifts, tricks or flares are allowed
- 2 songs will be danced of different tempos
Showcase – Dance Performances
Would you like to perform at our showcase? Please send your show of interest to email@example.com
See our preliminary list of performances for the evening, there are subject to change:
- Latin |Youth |Team Raine’s Suavesitas from Palmerston North
- Salsa |Youth| Students – Team from Dance Whanganui
- Bachata |Students|Team Dance Connection from New Plymouth
- Reggaeton |Students | Team Raine’s Suavesitas from Palmerston North
- Salsa |Youth| Students – Sophie and Tobias from Dance Whanganui
- Salsa |Students| Intermediate – Rueda Team from Dance Whanganui
- Latin|Youth| Solo Raine’s Suavesitas from Palmerston North
- Salsa |Students| Team Dance Connection from New Plymouth
- Tango |Pro Level| Irina and Rene from Dance Whanganui
- Salsa |Youth| Solo Raine’s Suavesitas from Palmerston North
- Salsa |Student| Improvers – Salsa Team from Dance Whanganui
- Bachata |Pro Level| Rene and Irina from Dance Whanganui
- Salsa | Pro Level| Shines Raine’s Suavesitas from Palmerston North
- Orisha |Pro Level | Shines from Yoruba Culture – from The Cuban Groove – Vivio Ramos from Auckland
- Bachata |Students | Team Raine’s Suavesitas from Palmerston North
- Salsa |Pro Level| Rene and Irina from Dance Whanganui
Social Dance Party
This party will be a huge celebration of the end of a wonderful weekend of dance and fun! Come dressed to impress in your finest or funkiest outfit and dance the night away to our Salsa and Bachata tracks until 11 pm.
We are excited to have Adrian Leineweber as a DJ for our party! Adrian is one of the best Latin DJs in the countries and travels around the country with events Like NZ Salsa Congress, NZ Latin Dance Championships and Aotearoa Cuban Festival.
Get your Pass Now:
Join us for a fantastic Weekend. Choose the pass that suits you best. Invite your friends and family to come and support you & the Latin Dance Scene.
Event address: 1A Bell St, Whanganui 4500.